Top Floor

Provenance

Camera
NIKON D850
Lens
14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8
Settings
16mm · f/8.0 · 0.6s · ISO 100
Paper
Ilford Galerie Smooth Cotton Rag 310 gsm

Light enters through a window almost entirely consumed by vines pressing through the frame. Walls are covered in peeling paint, layers visible where sections have lifted and curled away from the plaster beneath. Dark blue-green carpet runs the length of the room. A ceiling fan with 4 broad blades hangs from a beam, and fluorescent fittings line the ceiling above redundant switch plates and outlets.

Edition
Open edition

Open edition
Printed to order, no fixed quantity. Each print is hand-signed by the photographer.

Limited edition
A fixed number of prints exist. Once sold, the edition closes permanently. Each print is individually numbered and signed.

$100.00 AUD
Size
Type
Colour
Signed, numbered, with COA. Made to order in 5 to 10 business days (unframed). Shipped in protective packaging with edition certificate, paper-stock reference and a printed care guide.
See certificate sample →

Shipping Free shipping over $250. Ships worldwide, rates calculated at checkout.

Returns Damaged in transit? We replace it. Full policy →

Ships within 10 business days · signed & numbered

In situ

Top Floor at Lewisham Hospital, unframed print displayed in situ on a wall.Top Floor at Lewisham Hospital, white-framed print displayed in situ on a wall.Top Floor at Lewisham Hospital, black-framed print displayed in situ on a wall.Top Floor at Lewisham Hospital, raw timber-framed print displayed in situ on a wall.Top Floor at Lewisham Hospital, glass print displayed in situ on a wall.
01 PROVENANCE

Print datasheet

Title
Top Floor
Series
Lewisham Hospital
Catalogue
LHO-025
Process
Giclée
Captured
28 January 2019
Camera
NIKON D850
Lens
14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8
Aperture
f/8.0
Shutter
0.6s s
ISO
100
Focal length
16 mm
Paper
Ilford Galerie Smooth Cotton Rag 310 gsm
Paper size
297 × 210 mm
Location
Lewisham, New South Wales, Australia
Recognised by
Highly Commended in Multimedia at the 2016 National Trust of Australia (NSW) Heritage Awards
02 LOCATION

Lewisham, New South Wales, Australia

Map · Mapbox · OpenStreetMap

03 THE STORY

About this print

The top floor of the former Lewisham Hospital, Convent and Grounds shows what a century of institutional use leaves behind when the institution finally departs. Paint peels from the walls in long, curling sheets, the layers beneath exposed to light entering through a window almost entirely consumed by vines pressing through the frame. Dark blue-green carpet runs the length of the room. A ceiling fan with 4 broad blades hangs from a beam, and fluorescent fittings line the ceiling above redundant switch plates and outlets. Nothing indicates what particular purpose this room once served. The Little Company of Mary, a Catholic nursing order founded by Venerable Mary Potter in Nottingham in 1877, established themselves at Lewisham in 1887 on land donated by Cardinal Patrick Francis Moran. Six sisters had arrived in Sydney two years earlier with five pounds between them. The hospital they opened on 9 June 1889 began as a children's and women's facility; by 1912 it admitted male patients and operated as a full general hospital. Lewisham was the order's Australian base, the place from which the sisters expanded to North Adelaide, South Africa, Christchurch, Wagga Wagga, and Wellington across the following decades. By 1948, the hospital was treating 3,600 in-patients annually and recording 88,399 out-patient attendances in a single year. Cumulative figures to that point, reported in the Catholic Weekly in 1949, totalled 140,757 in-patients and 950,691 out-patient treatments since 1890. The Australasian Province, headquartered at Lewisham, became the largest province of the Little Company of Mary globally. The order vacated the site in 1986. The Society of St Vincent de Paul took ownership the following year, and the hospital formally closed around 1988. The complex was redeveloped for aged care. The building was photographed in 2019. This photograph records the top floor as it stood that year: filtered light, peeling paint, a fan still fixed to its beam, and the particular stillness of a room that once held a great deal of directed purpose.

04 FROM THE FIELD NOTES

Light enters through a window almost entirely consumed by vines pressing through the frame.

Brett Patman

Lewisham Hospital

The series

Lewisham Hospital

2019 · 26 photographs

Lewisham Hospital was opened on 9 June 1889 by Cardinal Patrick Francis Moran, on the site where the Little Company of Mary, the Blue Nuns, had established their Sydney convent in 1887. Originally named the Children's Hospital of the Holy Child, it admitted women and children only until male patients were accepted from 1912. Over the following decades it became one of Sydney's main general hospitals and nurse training schools. It closed in 1988, a century of Catholic healthcare on one block of West Street, Lewisham. The Lost Collective photographs are of the novitiate building, the wing where new entrants to the order were trained, which sits within the broader hospital, convent, and grounds complex. The historic complex is listed as a local heritage item under the Inner West LEP (formerly Marrickville LEP 2011), within the Lewisham North Precinct. The convent chapel, in a revival Byzantine style with a 1927 Möller pipe organ, still stands on the site.

View all in this series →

05 SIZE GUIDE

Print sizes

The anatomy view shows what this finish is as a physical object: paper margin, mat band, frame depth, acrylic profile. The comparison strip shows how each size sits relative to the others at true scale. Click a size or a finish to update both.

Anatomy · true ratio
TypeSizeWidthHeight
08 BY POST · NO SPAM

Read the full story

Articles when they're published. The history behind a place. The day of a shoot. The work between prints. No marketing, no schedule.

You're subscribed.