Power House Crane
Provenance
- Camera
- NIKON D850
- Lens
- 14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8
- Settings
- 14mm · f/8.0 · 2s · ISO 100
- Paper
- Ilford Galerie Smooth Cotton Rag 310 gsm
An overhead gantry crane spanning the power house at the Portland Cement Works, in Portland near Lithgow. The rusted steel frame runs the length of a hall now strewn with debris and roof-truss remains. The works made cement here from 1902 until 1991.
Open edition
Printed to order, no fixed quantity. Each print is hand-signed by the photographer.
Limited edition
A fixed number of prints exist. Once sold, the edition closes permanently. Each print is individually numbered and signed.
Shipping Free shipping over $250. Ships worldwide, rates calculated at checkout.
Returns Damaged in transit? We replace it. Full policy →
Ships within 10 business days · signed & numbered
In situ





Print datasheet
- Title
- Power House Crane
- Series
- Portland Cement Works
- Catalogue
- PCW-025
- Process
- Giclée
- Captured
- 22 July 2018
- Camera
- NIKON D850
- Lens
- 14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8
- Aperture
- f/8.0
- Shutter
- 2s s
- ISO
- 100
- Focal length
- 14 mm
- Paper
- Ilford Galerie Smooth Cotton Rag 310 gsm
- Paper size
- 290 × 200 mm
- Location
- Portland, New South Wales, Australia
- Authenticity
- C2PA verified provenance →
- Recognised by
- Highly Commended in Multimedia at the 2016 National Trust of Australia (NSW) Heritage Awards
Portland, New South Wales, Australia
Map · Mapbox · OpenStreetMap
About this print
The overhead gantry crane of the Portland Cement Works power house at Portland, NSW, hangs across the full width of the decaying interior as it was photographed in 2018. The powerhouse was constructed around 1902 as part of the Commonwealth Portland Cement Company's original plant, and was later extended so the crane ran through the entire structure during operations. The iron girders were sourced from the same English manufacturer that supplied the Eveleigh Street Railway Yards. Cement production at the works ceased in November 1991 after nearly 90 years of continuous operation.
Brett Patman
The series
Portland Cement Works
Portland Cement Works in central western NSW began as a limestone quarry in 1863 and produced lime then cement on and off from the late 1880s. The Commonwealth Portland Cement Company, formed in December 1900, completed the main works in 1902 and built the distinctive arched-window powerhouse between 1900 and 1903 - its iron girders shipped from the same English manufacturer that supplied the Eveleigh Railway Yards. The works lit Portland's streets from 1910. The Off White cement that came out of the works in the 1960s became the basis of the Portland Cement brand still used in Australia. Production ran on a dry process until 1928, then a wet process from the 1940s, then under Blue Circle Southern Cement after the 1974 BHP merger. Cement ceased in 1991; quarrying ended in 1998. Listed on the NSW State Heritage Register on 3 August 2012. The site is now owned by AWJ Civil; Guido van Helten's silo murals, painted in April and May 2018, depict six former Portland Cement workers.
Print sizes
The anatomy view shows what this finish is as a physical object: paper margin, mat band, frame depth, acrylic profile. The comparison strip shows how each size sits relative to the others at true scale. Click a size or a finish to update both.
| Type | Size | Width | Height |
|---|