McKillops Bridge carries a single lane across the Snowy River in East Gippsland's Deddick Valley, 255 metres of timber decking on electric-arc-welded steel trusses and five tall concrete piers. The Country Roads Board built it in two attempts between 1931 and 1935. The first bridge was torn off its piers by a flash flood in January 1934, days before its planned opening. The replacement, set 15 feet higher, opened 20 December 1935 and has stood through every flood since.
The crossing at the site the drovers called Turnback had carried stock down from the Monaro since before colonial settlement. From 1889, a Scottish-born ferryman named Duncan McKellar ran a government-subsidised punt there at £75 a year; the place was known as McKellar's Crossing. In 1928 the Country Roads Board moved toward a high-level bridge after recognising that the flash floods generated by Monaro thunderstorms would make a low-level structure unworkable. The contract for the first bridge went to Gardener Constructions of Melbourne for £11,950. The trusses were electric-arc-welded steel, a then-novel method that cut the steel mass from 160 to 120 tons and brought the cost well below the CRB's original estimate of £28,500.
The first bridge was finished but never opened. On 8 January 1934, a flood that rose 16 feet above any previously recorded height piled debris against the trusses and tore the superstructure clean off its piers; the centre pier came down with it, and part of the wreck reached Orbost. The CRB rebuilt immediately, raising the piers 15 feet, filling in the open A-frames to shed debris, and turning the original abutments into additional piers. The replacement opened on 20 December 1935, with about 250 people present. The bridge takes its name from George McKillop, who brought cattle across the Snowy here in 1835 on the stock route from the Monaro toward the Omeo plains; a crossing that had served stockmen long before it carried a road.